Tuesday 12 August 2014

My Inspiration to Inspire

Hi there readers!

My name is Adeline and my students call me Teacher Adeline. I’m a part time teacher at Letzhop Mind Enrichment Centre at Bandar Botanic. Words could not describe how much I love working and spending time there and I believe that the students feel the same as well. We always look forward for classes (well, occasionally, kids will be kids) as they are always filled with great fun and joy…and at the end of the day, we go back home with something new that we learn.

Robert Frost once said that “there are two kinds of teachers: the kind that fills you with so much quail shot that you can’t move, and the kind that just gives you a little prod behind and you jump to the skies.”

Allow me to share a story and experience that I personally went through as a child. When I was little, I was not very good with academics. I loved drawing, singing, playing the piano and making crafts. While on the other hand, I have two other sisters who are very good with studies. They are always the top in class, winning awards and on top of that, they are very good with music and sports as well. Almost an all rounder I would say. I remember wishing that I was as good as them. However, there was this beautiful lady; let’s address her as Miss C, who was also my piano teacher that changes my life. Every week as I went for my lessons, she never failed to encourage and inspire me. It made me wanting to do better each time. It is true that I improve so much in piano. I believe that the influence of a teacher is very strong and it has a great impact on a student’s life. Although Miss C was only my piano teacher but her weekly motivation has helped me to do better academically.

Just like most of the Malaysian students, we all have to undergo a major examination known as UPSR in Primary 6. On that particular year when I was in Primary 6, it was my turn. I remember I was so nervous when the examination was approaching as I wanted to prove it to myself that I could do it. I could pass with flying colours as well. As usual, I went for my piano classes weekly and Miss C continued to be an inspiration to me. On the day the results were released, to my amazement, I scored a string of As. It was one of the happiest days in my life as I had never scored all A’s in any examinations before.

Never did I dream that I would be a teacher one day. On the day I got the job at LetzHop, I told myself that I wanted to be a teacher just like Miss C. I want to inspire and motivate my students. I want to help them to reach their fullest potentials and still enjoy learning. I find that the approach and syllabi of the English programme at LetzHop are very interesting and fulfilling. I have never regretted being on this journey as there is so much fun in learning. I believe that in every class there is always a mutual exchange of ideas and thoughts for both the teacher and the students. That is one thing that I love about teaching. It is true that as teachers, we do not often see instant results from our hard work as teaching is a process. Nevertheless, for me, it is the journey that I walk with the students that matters. There is a special feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day when you notice that your students are actually applying whatever they have learnt in class. I love to explore with the children and I am inspired to be a better teacher. Just like Robert Frost quoted;

I want to be the kind of teacher that gives my precious students a push from behind as they soar to the skies reaching for their dreams.




Authored by,  
Teacher Adeline
LETZHOP Klang

No comments:

Post a Comment